#Coconut Oil for Skin Diseases #Natural Skin Care Treatment #Premature Aging Tips #Virgin Coconut Oil for Skin Care
A dermatologist in New York City, Dr. Marnie Nussbaum, M.D. suggests her patients in using virgin coconut oil (and not only coconut oil).
Why Virgin Coconut Oil for Skin Care?
Because virgin coconut oil is an unrefined oil. As a result, there’s no bleach, harmful chemicals used in producing virgin coconut oil. And an upgraded technology called “cold-processed technology” is used in extracting the best, purest form of virgin coconut oil. Normal Coconut oil, on the other hand, is refined, bleached, deodorized, and if you use the normal coconut oil without looking at the ingredients, it may harm your skin; rather than making your skin glow.
Your skin is important and that’s why you should take advice from an expert rather than believing in a fad that would fade away within a few years.
Dr. Nussbaum says that she advises her patients to “use organic virgin coconut oil that hasn’t been mixed with other oils.”
And virgin coconut oil not only nourishes one’s skin, but it also treats skin diseases like eczema, psoriasis, etc.
In this article, we will show you how virgin coconut oil benefits your skin and how virgin coconut oil treats skin diseases.
But before that let’s understand the skin protective properties of virgin coconut oil.
The Skin Protective Properties of Virgin Coconut Oil for skin care
In a study done by Sandeep R. Varma, Thiyagarajan O. Sivaprakasam et al. of the Himalaya Drug Company found that “topical application of virgin coconut oil brings anti-inflammatory activity” and “improves skin barrier function by up-regulating AQP-3.”
Here’s a graphical representation of the study done by the Himalaya Drug Company –
Now as we have seen how helpful organic virgin coconut oil for skin is, we will look at how virgin coconut oil treats skin diseases and heals skin problems.
How Virgin Coconut Oil Treats & Heals Skin Diseases & Skin Issues
Virgin coconut oil helps your skin shine. And here are a few significant benefits of organic coconut oil if you use it for nourishing your skin –
Helps prevent premature aging
Regular usage of Virgin coconut oil prevents premature aging of the skin. Than relying upon products that are laboratory made with chemicals and artificial ingredients, switch to natural virgin coconut oil which is 100% organic and rich in antioxidants.
Effect of organic Coconut Oil for Eczema
Another name of Eczema is contact dermatitis. This is a chronic condition that promotes skin irritation, itchiness, and patches and at times, scaly patches also exude liquids. Unfortunately, there’s no cure for Eczema, but with the use of virgin coconut oil, its effect can be drastically reduced. Here’s how 100% organic and natural coconut oil helps deal with Eczema –
- VCO helps in hydration: Eczema reduces the capacity of the skin to stay hydrated. A study done by the International Journal of Dermatology finds that applying VCO topically improves the hydration of the skin (even with Eczema).
- Organic Coconut Oil decreases oxidative stress: A study done by the Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research mentioned that the exposure of antioxidants helps to treat atomic dermatitis. And another study, done by the Department of Biochemistry, University of Kerala, remarked that the effect of virgin coconut oil ameliorates the oxidative stress. If you merge the above two studies, we find that if you apply VCO, it helps in reducing the oxidative stress.
- VCO reduces inflammation and pain: A study, done by the Payap University, Chiang Mai, Thailand found that the use of VCO reduces inflammation, fever, and pain.
- Organic Coconut Oil decreases bacteria: A study conducted by the Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society found that the antimicrobial properties of lauric acid found in organic coconut oil reduce the effect of viruses, bacteria, and fungi
Reduces Psoriasis Symptoms
Many of the symptoms of Eczema and Psoriasis are similar. And even if there isn’t a ton of research behind whether virgin coconut oil helps reduce the Psoriasis symptoms, we can easily say that three aspects of 100% organic and natural coconut oil do help in reducing the effect Psoriasis. Here are they –
- Annihilate bacteria: Unlike coconut oil (which is refined and processed with heat), virgin coconut oil annihilates the bacteria, viruses, and fungi in the skin to reduce the effect of them. Since VCO isn’t processed with high heat, it retains the germ-fighting ability.
- Anti-inflammatory: A ton of research has proven that VCO is anti-inflammatory. As a result, the topical application of VCO definitely helps in reducing the symptoms of Psoriasis.
- Moisturize: Virgin Coconut Oil for Skin Care also acts as a classic moisturizer for your skin and is also effective for scalp Psoriasis. Organic coconut oil acts as a great moisturizer because it has a high percentage of saturated fat (around 84%, most compared to butter, and other oils) and as a result, it decreases the moisture loss via skin pores.
Virgin Coconut Oil for Treating Acne
Before we talk about how virgin coconut oil is beneficial for treating acne, let’s understand what acne is.
Acne affects mostly teenagers. That doesn’t mean adults don’t get affected by it, but the percentage is less. When the skin pores get clogged up by dead skins and oil, it takes the form of acne.
The little pores in your skin produce an oily element called sebum. When your skin produces too much sebum, it fills up the pores. As a result, the bacteria called Propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes) get trapped in the pores and as per the system of the body, your white blood cells attack it. Hence, you experience a skin-inflammation on the pores called acne.
Now, let’s talk about how the topical application of virgin coconut oil treats acne –
- VCO can kill bacteria: Earlier we talked about the bacteria called Propionibacterium acnes that cause acne. The medium-chain fatty acids inherent within virgin coconut oil can kill the bacteria. It’s seen that 50% of the fatty acids that are found in the VCO have medium-chain lauric acids. A research study, done by the Department of Nano engineering, University of California, San Diego proved that the antimicrobial activity of lauric acid works against the P. acne bacteria.
- Moisturizing often helps: Organic coconut oil is a great moisturizer. As a result of acne, many people suffer from scarred skin. Applying virgin coconut oil topically can help moisturize the skin and heals the wounds in the skin.
- Fights inflammation: Whenever acne affects the skin, it causes inflammation. Using the VCO regularly on the skin reduces inflammation and helps reduce the swelling of the acne.
The only thing you need to look after is to dry your face before you ever apply virgin coconut oil. If you have oily skin, applying VCO without first drying up your face may create results contrary to your expectations.
Organic Coconut Oil is excellent for healing wounds
If you’re prone to skin infection, consider applying organic coconut oil on the areas infected. Immediate application on infected areas or wounds will prevent you from microbial infection and also hastens the process of healing.
You will also be able to use virgin coconut oil for smoothing your skin, for skin growth, and for protection against cracking (due to the Vitamin E inherent within VCO).
After reading this, would you agree that having a stock of pure, unrefined, virgin coconut oil at your home is prudent? Go ahead, and buy the HappyGrove Virgin Coconut Oil, the best virgin coconut oil in the market. It’s easily available on Amazon and on the HappyGrove website [may insert a link of the buying page].
How to use Coconut Oil for Skin?
Take a little quantity on your palm depending upon why and for what you are using it. If it is to apply on rashes or any skin infections, take an amount required to apply completely on the infected area. For regular usage on Skin for moisturizing, or to heal dry skin, a little quantity is sufficient to serve the purpose. However, depends on your comfort.
Does Coconut Oil act as a face moisturizer?
Yes, virgin coconut oil works brilliant on face to moisturize dry skin cells. Also, it helps to restore the natural PH of the skin resulting in smooth and shiny skin. However, for people with natural oily skin, it is better to consult your skin doctor before using oil as moisturizer.
Can I use Coconut Oil for face Acne?
Topical application of virgin coconut oil treats acne by killing bacteria that causes acne. It’s seen that 50% of the fatty acids that are found in the VCO have medium-chain lauric acids. A research study, done by the Department of Nano engineering, University of California, San Diego proved that the antimicrobial activity of lauric acid works against the bacteria.
Is Virgin Coconut Oil good for skin?
Virgin coconut oil works magical on skin. It not only acts as a brilliant moisturizer, but has medicinal cures for several skin diseases like rashes, eczema, and psoriasis. The HappyGrove’s virgin coconut oil is rich in vitamin E, anti-bacterial agents, anti-inflammatory properties, lauric acid, and anti-oxidants. These properties helps in killing bacteria, repairs infected skin cells, damaged and dry skin cells. It restores the skin to its normal stage by adding a little glow and smoothness.
Can Coconut Oil heal damaged skin?
Yes, virgin coconut oil is loaded with many medicinal properties. It is anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, and rich in Vitamin E and lauric acid. These properties help in healing the damaged skin cells caused by diseases like psoriasis and eczema. It also repairs the skin cells which are frequently exposed to the usage of cosmetic products.
Does Coconut Oil give you wrinkles?
Virgin coconut oil is used to reduce wrinkles. So it won’t be apt to say that coconut oil will give you wrinkles. Though, coconut oil cannot make you wrinkle free completely, but certain properties that are present in virgin coconut oil help in premature aging than any other oils. Collagen is important in creating skin elasticity and the skin starts wearing out collagen with age. Few researchers have found collagen building properties in coconut oil and hence can say that regular usage of virgin coconut oil can repair wrinkled skin over time. However, there has to be further studies to be made to substantiate the statement.